Applying For Permanent Residency As An Illegal Immigrant

Are you being threatened with deportation because your parents illegally moved you from Mexico to the U.S.A. when you were younger? Although illegal immigration is a crime, you might still have rights due to your situation. An immigration attorney might be able to help you obtain the rights to live in the U. S.A. as a legal permanent resident. Just keep in mind that the process can be lengthy depending on your specific case. This article has helpful information that will be handy for getting through your immigration situation.

1. Your History in the U.S.A. Will Be Discussed

When you speak to an immigration attorney about your situation, he or she will want to know how you ended up in the U.S.A. illegally. Basically, you must explain how your parents got into the country. The attorney might inquire about the length of time you have been living in the country as well. If you haven't been in the U.S.A. for a long time, you might have a more difficult time being granted permanent residency. Just make sure you are honest about every question that is asked because a minor lie can damage your credibility in court.

2. Your Criminal Background Might Be Investigated

Your criminal background will play a big role in whether you are granted permanent residency in the U.S.A. or not. You will be asked questions about crimes that you have committed, even if they are petty. If you have never committed any crimes in the country, your immigration case will be a lot stronger. Other than personally asking you questions, the attorney will also obtain your criminal background records. A private investigator might be hired by the attorney to find out about any information that can possibly harm your case.

3. Immigration Paperwork Will Be Filed

After your immigration attorney has gathered a sufficient amount of evidence to argue your case, he or she will file the necessary paperwork. An attorney can fill in all of the information that is required in the immigration documents, but you might have to provide certain pieces of information. You will also have to sign some of the documents after they are filled out. It will be up to the immigration authorities to grant you permanent residency based on the evidence that the attorney is able to provide. Be prepared for the process to possibly take years before you are considered a permanent resident.

Whether you turn to a Spanish law office or a local legal aid firm, having an attorney will help.